United Utilities Incorporated’s 2004 DeltaNet network substantially improves broadband access to the 23,800 Yup’ik Eskimo residents of 36 remote Alaska Native villages.
When the network was first built, it covered the villages closest to Bethel but had no terrestrial connection to the internet (satellite connectivity only). When TERRA was started in 2009, it incorporated DeltaNet and connected DeltaNet by microwave and fiber to the internet backbone, but the technology then had much less capacity than today’s systems.
This project upgraded the network servicing these 36 communities to the latest technology. This is especially significant to the anchor tenants on this network:
- Lower Kuskokwim School District
- Lower Yukon School District
- Yukon Kuskokwim Health Corporation
The region’s residents who are dependent on the network for home and business Internet and wireless data now have better access.
- Native Organization: United Utilities Incorporated
- Date Closed with Investor: 2019
- Date Completed: 2020
- Development Type: Infrastructure
- Project Status: Complete
- Total Investor Equity: $2,000,000
- Total Project Cost: $6,800,000