Carmen Morgan is the second student from Haskell Indian Nations University (HINU) to join us this summer as part of our joint internship program with Tepa. She is majoring in business administration at HINU and will be working with the communications team.
We’re so glad to be working with her! Read on to learn more.
1. Tell us a little about yourself? I was born and raised here in Kansas City, MO. I come from a close-knit family and am the youngest of three children. My father recently passed away and was looking forward to attending my graduation this upcoming May. He always stressed the importance of hard work and education while reminding me that sometimes common sense could be just as important.
I am an enrolled member of the Cherokee Nation. I have a 14-year-old chow-chow mix named Radio.
2. Tell us about your time at Haskell so far? I am currently a senior at Haskell Indian Nations University, majoring in business administration. My favorite class is not a traditional class, but instead I enjoy the position of writing consultant in the Haskell Writing Center.
There I assist fellow students with all stages of the writing process, from brainstorming and research to citations and final proofreading. I enjoy seeing the results of their effort and confidence boost that it gives them.
3. What other job experiences have you had? My first job was at Worlds of Fun, and I have done a variety of things from building maintenance to catching shoplifters. In high school, I worked at a car wash and learned that the circular motion Mr. Miyagi taught in “The Karate Kid” movie really was the best technique to dry off a car.
4. What accomplishment are you most proud of? At Haskell, I was recognized on the Dean’s list in spring 2016 and on the President’s list since summer 2016.
5. What’s your claim to fame? My name is inscribed on the wall in my high school as the Kansas City Star Scholar-Athlete the year I graduated. I played basketball and ran track.
6. Do you volunteer? I volunteer at my church, Willis Chapel AME Church, during vacation Bible school in the summer.
7. Who has the most influence in your life? My mother has been a great influence in my life. She has a very calming and nurturing spirit that I often try to mirror.
8. What did you want to be as a kid? As a child, I wanted to become a veterinarian, but when I discovered in high school that I would have to care for more than just cats and dogs, I quickly lost all interest.
9. On weekends, you’ll find me: relaxing someplace quiet, enjoying ice cream.
10. My favorite place I’ve traveled was: a family vacation to San Diego. I fell in love with the perfect weather.
11. I love Kansas City because: BBQ!
12. My favorite holiday is: Christmas. I like selecting gifts that I think my friends and family will enjoy. And who doesn’t like to get presents?
13. My favorite musician is: I first heard Prince in the 80s and have been a fan ever since.
14. A perfect day for me is: 79 degrees and sunny.
15. My first car was a: Red Ford Escort.