Missing our 19th Annual Travois Conference this week in Miami? We have two other upcoming training opportunities — check your calendar and consider attending!
In partnership with The National American Indian Housing Council (NAIHC), Travois will host the NAHASDA & Tax Credit Compliance Professional (NTCCP) Training as part of NAIHC’s Leadership Institute on July 16-18 in Phoenix, AZ.
This intensive three-day training provides in-depth information for those who manage and operate affordable housing developments funded using the Native American Housing Assistance and Self-Determination Act (NAHASDA) and the Low Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) program.
Registration will open soon. Check back this spring to NAIHC’s training page for more details and to register.
I have been teaching this training for the past five years, and previous attendees have shared what helped them:
- “I now have a better understanding of all that goes into the LIHTC and NAHASDA programs, such as, eligibility, screenings, certifications…It was a good presentation with real-life examples sprinkled throughout.”
- “This training will help me calculate rent for people and help me answer questions they have.”
- “[The training] helped me understand policies and programs to be more knowledgeable and help me grow in this field.”
- “I’m new to the tax credit program. The skills and information I learned in this training will be helpful to me every day I am on the job.”
- “LIHTC and NAHASDA were separated, and I have a clear understanding of both programs.”
The course covers these topics:
- Overview of Low Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) program and Native American Housing Assistance and Self-Determination Act (NAHASDA) funding
- Eligible participants
- Application and verification of income
- Calculating rent
- Lease management
- Occupancy policies and more
The course concludes with an exam, and participants who successfully pass the exam have the opportunity to receive their NTCCP certification. Read more about the certification on our website.
Concurrent July training: Preparing for on-site physical trainings
The Uniform Physical Conditions Standards (UPCS) Inspection Protocol Training is also taking place on Tuesday, July 16 and Wednesday, July 17 in Phoenix.
If you work for a housing authority or department that operates affordable housing, Director of Asset Management & Compliance Mike Price will help you understand what investor and state housing agency inspect and what you need to do to pass these on-site physical compliance inspections. Registration will open soon! Check our website this spring.
The class covers the use and implementation of UPCS inspection protocols. Participants will learn about the following:
- Property profile
- Building systems
- Defect determination
- Health and safety categories
- Life-threatening hazards
- Fair housing concerns
“After a development is funded, construction is completed, and homes are rented to families, the hard work continues: managing and maintaining the homes,” Mike said. “Inspections can be a stressful but being prepared can make this process much simpler. I enjoy helping others be prepared and successful in their jobs.”
Find us at other upcoming industry conferences
Travois representatives will be at these industry events this spring:
- NAFOA’s 37th Annual Conference in Portland, OR; April 14-16
- NNE’s 12th Annual Tribal Casino & Hotel Development Conference in Maricopa, AZ; April 29-30
- 2019 AMERIND RISK | NAIHC Annual Convention Annual Convention & Trade Fair in Denver, CO; May 7-9
- NNE’s 8th Annual Native American Housing Conference in Temecula, CA; June 10-11
- MLCV’s National Leadership Development Conference in Hinckley, MN, June 10-12
Contact us to arrange a meeting at one of those conferences.