Melanie Brewer is new to the Travois team! Melanie joined the Travois Asset Management Team as an asset manager. She helps clients meet investor and state reporting requirements for the life of Low Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) projects.
Melanie also provides training on the LIHTC program and other support to our clients. Read on for an introduction to Melanie!
1. What education or certifications do you have? I have a Bachelor of Science degree in legal studies with a minor in political science from Park University. This spring, I received a Juris Doctor degree from the University of Kansas School of Law, and as part of my studies, also received a Tribal Lawyer Certificate. After beginning work with Travois in the affordable housing industry, I recently earned a Site Compliance Specialist (SCS) designation.
2. How do your past experiences help you in your current position? I was working for a solo practitioner doing guardian ad litem and family law work. I think it has helped me to continue to develop good listening skills and to learn to advocate for my client’s best interest.
3. Do you volunteer? I volunteer with Douglas County Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA). It is a great organization that helps kids who are uprooted from their homes at no fault of their own. I am able to advocate for my CASA child and be a voice for her in the court system. I chose to help kids in these situations because my youngest brother was adopted, and I watched some of the struggles he went through from the time he was placed in foster care with us through the adoption process.
4. What inspires you? My family and making them proud. I want to work as hard as I watched my parents work.
5. What is one thing you would like Travois staff and clients to know about you? I love soccer. I could talk soccer all day long if given the chance. I am at most Sporting KC games.
6. What did you want to be as a kid? I thought I wanted to be a zookeeper!
7. What is your favorite meal? What is your favorite local restaurant? I have lots of favorite meals, but my favorite local restaurant is the Classic Cup for their brunch. It’s the best French toast in the city!
8. What is your favorite book from childhood? The Harry Potter series.
9. Do you like to play or watch sports? I love watching most sports. I played college soccer. I root for Sporting KC and Arsenal. ROCK CHALK JAYHAWKS! Go Royals!
10. What is your least favorite chore? Laundry. I just don’t have time for that.
11. What talent do you wish you had? I wish I could sing. I wouldn’t even have to be great, just able to carry a tune. That would be nice.
12. What is your favorite thing to do in Kansas City? Brunch with my friends. There are so many great brunches around. We like to try new places and go at least once a month.
13. If someone were to make a movie about your life, who would play you and why? Hopefully someone like Amy Poehler, who is funny and ready to roll with the punches.
14. On weekends, you’ll find me: at a Sporting KC game or curled up watching Netflix.
15. My claim to fame is: I know Darren Sproles. I was friends with his younger brother.