Travois secures financing for affordable housing developments primarily through the Low Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) program. We have secured more than $675 million in investor equity – money that doesn’t need to be paid back – for more than 190 affordable housing developments.
The Low Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) program provides millions of dollars every year for the development of affordable housing. The program provides for new construction or the rehabilitation of existing units, with generally 70 to 90 percent investor equity.
Our team will assist you at each stage of the development process: application, award, securing an investor and beginning construction. We are there every step of the process to ensure that your homes are completed on budget and on time.
All of the housing developments that Travois supports are owned by tribes. We value self-determination and work with tribes to protect and promote sovereignty.
- Educate tribal council, housing board and staff on the tax credit program
- Help define a housing development that doesn’t just include homes but considers the entire community
- Prepare tax credit application that meets program requirements and is consistent with your long-term goals
- Prepare supplemental housing grant applications to use fewer tribal funds
- Educate agencies and investors to ensure successful funding
- Help achieve funding milestones
- Facilitate the investor closing process
- Lobby state and federal governments for tribal interests in the LIHTC and other funding programs