Trent Rogers has joined the housing development team! As project coordinator, he will help clients move forward with affordable housing projects: completing applications for Low Income Housing Tax Credits (LIHTCs), closing with investors and meeting carryover requirements, among other responsibilities.
Read below for more about Trent!
1. What is your educational background? I have a B.A. in psychology from Creighton University and a law degree from the University of Kansas.
2. What attracted you to Travois? I was instantly interested in Travois because of the specific practice area and the ability to work directly with tribes. It was clear right away there was a unique and mission-driven culture at Travois, and I knew I wanted to be a part of it. I obtained a Tribal Lawyer Certificate from KU Law, so Travois was right up my alley!
3. How does the Tribal Lawyer Certificate help you to serve clients or other partners? The certificate involved completing a number of Indian law specific classes such as Federal Indian Law and Tribal Sovereignty and Self Determination. This certificate has given me great base background knowledge of Indian country on top of my legal education. This knowledge has allowed me to hit the ground running with Travois and will allow me to better serve our clients in a variety of ways.
4. How do your past experiences help you in your current position? I’ve had a varying array of different experiences before Travois. I have worked with a small veteran disability firm as well as within a corporate legal team. More recently, I worked in the KU Tribal Law and Government Center, which gave me experience working directly with tribal governments.
5. Do you have any family details that you’d like to share? I am recently engaged, on the same day as my law school graduation, and very excited for the future. We have a cat together named Archie, and he has thumbs! My extended family, including my parents and my younger sister, are all in Kansas City.
6. What is one thing you would like Travois staff and clients to know about you? I love to ride motorcycles. I grew up riding motorcycles with my dad, and I love being able to get out and go for a long ride when the weather is nice in KC.
7. What did you want to be as a kid? An anesthesiologist. Calculus ended this dream.
8. Do you like to play or watch sports? Sports generally take up most of my time outside work and family. I mostly only have time to run, but I enjoy playing pickup basketball and soccer when I get the chance. I am a diehard Creighton Bluejays basketball fan, I love Liverpool FC, and of course, I follow the Royals closely.
9. What talent do you wish you had? I wish I had more musical talent. My fiancée is extremely musically talented, and I am very jealous of her singing and guitar skills.
10. What kind of music do you like? I generally listen to all different kinds of music, except for country. I don’t have one favorite band, but some of my favorite bands/artists are the Foo Fighters, Mumford & Sons, and First Aid Kit.
11. What do you like to do when you aren’t working? When I am not working, during the summer I really like to try and get down to the Lake of the Ozarks as much as I can.
12. What is your biggest success up until now? As a recent graduate, I am pretty excited and proud of my law degree from KU. It was a tough three years, and I am glad to be done! Now on to the bar exam…