GCI Communication Corp (GCI), an Alaska telecommunications company, will extend its broadband network to the Aleutian Island Chain to provide service to rural Alaska Native Villages.
Aleutians schools and Alaska Native health corporations are hopeful the expansion will help combat the epidemic of youth suicide the rural villages face. The opportunity to provide telehealth counseling services to young people who struggle with feelings of isolation is key to the ongoing strategy to provide support to the community youth.
The expansion of the broadband network will also create high-quality jobs for people in Alaska Native Villages and catalyze further private investments in communities.
Note: GCI is not a Native organization.
At a Glance
- Native Organization: GCI Communication Corp
- Date Closed with Investor: 2020
- Date Completed:
- Development Type: Infrastructure
- Project Status: Under Construction
- Total Investor Equity: $4,879,875
- Total Project Cost: $15,800,000