Delfina Ortiz has joined our Travois Asset Management team as a compliance specialist. In her role she will review tenant files “with a fine-toothed comb” and help clients keep their properties in compliance. Her attention to detail and her easygoing nature make her a perfect fit at Travois.
1. How will your past experience help you in your current position? I was a property manager for a Low Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) property for nearly 13 years. I feel that this is helpful since I know what it’s like to be on that side of compliance. I understand how everyday tasks are juggled — residents, site staff, prospects, processing files, etc.
2. Do you hold any professional certifications or designations? I hold the Housing Credit Certified Professional (HCCP) certification. The HCCP designation has given me a full understanding of LIHTC compliance to better serve and process applications to ensure households are in compliance.
3. Do you have any family details that you’d like to share? I’m the youngest of my eight siblings. I’ve been married for 17 years, with no children of our own. My husband and I are the FUN aunt and uncle to 32+ nephews and nieces (including great-nephews and great-neices).
4. What accomplishment in your carreer are you most proud of? I was nominated twice for the Crystal Merit Awards in property management at my previous job.
5. What inspires you? Real-life success stories with real people inspire me. We all put our pants on one leg at a time. We all have different backgrounds. We all have the same capabilities.
6. Who has the most influence in your life? My parents have been very influential in my life. They are very encouraging and supportive in all areas of my life. They are always looking out for my best interest and love to see me succeed.
7. Do you have a slogan or life philosophy that represents you? “Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.” –Maya Angelou
8. If someone were to make a movie about your life, who would play you and why? “Fool Rush In” is the most relatable movie to my life when I first started dating. Salma Hayak’s character reminds me of my life, though I wasn’t pregnant like her character. I did have older brothers who were very protective of me. The table was silent when I brought a date to our Sunday family dinner.
9. Who’s the one person who makes you laugh the hardest? Eli, my husband. He is my friend and soulmate. He has always known how to lighten the mood and make me laugh! Twenty years later, he still knows how to make me laugh.
10. On weekends, you’ll find me: In the spring, summer and fall, I’m cycling outdoors. I hibernate with Lifetime and coffee during the winter.
11. My favorite place I’ve traveled was: A Christmas, birthday and New Year’s celebration in the Dominican Republic.
12. The best gift I ever received was: A toy stuffed dog so I could fit in at my new position with Travois (since I refuse to own a real dog of my own).
13. I love Kansas City because: This is where I grew up. Midwest folks are very friendly and helpful. There is so much to see and do and you have all four seasons — sometimes in the same day!
14. My worst travel experience was: Getting stuck in customs coming home from a yoga retreat in Costa Rica. Thankfully, I was in the U.S. on the return leg of the trip, but I almost missed my connecting flight.
15. My favorite holiday is: Christmas. Holiday decor is fun and beautiful. While I can do without winter (mostly the cold), it just doesn’t feel like Christmas unless there is snow.
16. I’d love to meet: Ellen Degeneres – she is so down-to-earth, funny and kind-hearted.
17. My favorite singer of all time is: Bruno Mars is such an amazingly talented artist!!
18. A happy memory is: My wedding day
19. A perfect day for me is: “I’d have to say April 25th. Because it’s not too hot, not too cold, all you need is a light jacket” – Miss Rhode Island from “Miss Congeniality”
20. My first car was a: Mazda Rx-7
21. My best and worst habits are: I can be somewhat of a perfectionist in certain areas of my life. This can be a good and bad trait.
We’re happy to welcome Delfina to the team!