The Sokaogon Chippewa Housing Authority acquired a vacant motel from the tribe and converted the building into 25 efficiency or studio-style apartments.
The motel building was perfectly suited to create handicap-accessible units. It is located directly off a main road, and all of the units are at ground level.
Now that renovation is complete, the building includes an on-site manager’s unit, a common living area, kitchen and laundry space, and secured entries to all the units.
RBC Capital Markets is the investor for this project.
Travois Design & Construction Services provided the architectural designs for the project and completed monthly inspections of the work in place during the construction period.
- Innovative concept to house veterans and elderly tribal members
- Two years later: four takeaways from an experienced tribal developer
- Sokaogon Chippewa Housing Authority wins award, featured in news article
- Hats off to the Sokaogon Chippewa Housing Authority!
- Native Organization: Sokaogon Chippewa Community
- Asset Management Client
- Environmental Services Client
- Design and Construction Features
- Date Closed with Investor: 2015
- Date Completed: 2016
- Development Type: Rehab
- Project Status: Complete
- Total Homes: 24
- Total Project Cost: $2,364,665
- Total Investor Equity: $1,565,704
- Total Grant Money: $414,000