The Sokaogon Chippewa Housing Authority acquired a vacant motel from the tribe and converted the building into 25 efficiency or studio-style apartments.
The motel building was perfectly suited to create handicap-accessible units. It is located directly off a main road, and all of the units are at ground level.
Now that renovation is complete, the building includes an on-site manager’s unit, a common living area, kitchen and laundry space, and secured entries to all the units.
RBC Capital Markets is the investor for this project.
Travois Design & Construction Services provided the architectural designs for the project and completed monthly inspections of the work in place during the construction period.
(Photos in the gallery are copyrighted by Ryan Siemers, 2016.)
- Innovative concept to house veterans and elderly tribal members
- Two years later: four takeaways from an experienced tribal developer
- Sokaogon Chippewa Housing Authority wins award, featured in news article
- Hats off to the Sokaogon Chippewa Housing Authority!
- Native Organization: Sokaogon Chippewa Community
- Asset Management Client
- Environmental Services Client
- Design and Construction Features
- Date Closed with Investor: 2015
- Date Completed: 2016
- Development Type: Rehab
- Project Status: Complete
- Total Homes: 24
- Total Project Cost: $2,364,665
- Total Investor Equity: $1,565,704
- Total Grant Money: $414,000