Cameron Gilyard is our new Travoisian! Cameron recently joined the Travois Design team as a project manager. Our Travois Design team has expanded over the last few years, providing planning, architectural designs and construction-related services for over 35 tribal housing developments, and Cameron is jumping right in to help!
Cameron will help clients through all of the phases of the design and construction process, coordinate drawings and specifications sets, conduct design charrettes, complete work-in-place reports and more!
Read on to learn more about Cameron!
1. What education or certifications do you have? I received a bachelor’s degree in architecture from Drury University back in 2012, and I’m currently working toward my architectural license.
2. What inspires you? My peers. I always find myself surrounded by amazing people and designers who push me to want to be better.
3. Do you have a slogan, wise words, or life philosophy that represents you? “Makin’ Moves.” This is a phrase that has been with me for a while now, and I definitely live by it. Despite never getting the chance to meet, two very important people used to say this to me all the time. Be better than you were yesterday; push yourself to do more than you did yesterday. Continue to elevate yourself and those around you. Keep “Makin’ Moves.”
4. If someone were to make a movie about your life, who would play you and why? Taye Diggs because Idris Elba is too tall and might be too busy as the new James Bond.
5. Who’s the one person who makes you laugh the hardest? Mila Celeste Baer-Gilyard. At just 2 years old, this amazing little girl never ceases to amaze me. She promptly reminded me the other day, weeks after she heard me mention it, that I needed to get an air pump from the store so we could blow up her pool. She wasn’t happy when I laughed at the stern talking-to I was receiving, but she got to swim. That is just one of many hilarious stories from this little one.
Fill in the blank:
On weekends, you’ll find me: Listening to records, watching movies or playing with my daughter.
My favorite place I’ve traveled was: Thessaloniki, Greece. The pockets of historical buildings and ruins in the middle of various modern city blocks are something I’ll never forget. The food was amazing, and all of the friends I made has to make this my favorite. Volos, Greece, is a very close second though.
I’d love to meet: Zoe Saldana because Zoe Saldana. She’s amazing!
My favorite book, movie and band of all time is: My favorite book would be “Rant” by Chuck Palahniuk. Favorite movie is “The Last Dragon” (‘80s’ kung fu movies are the best). My favorite band (right now at least) has to be The Internet. Their fusion of funk, jazz, soul and R&B is pure gold. I could literally listen to them all day, every day and never get bored of it. I’ve been playing their song “La Di Da” a lot lately.
A happy memory is: The first time my daughter, Mila, ran across the room at full speed to jump into my arms when I picked her up from school — that is a happy moment I definitely won’t forget.