Zach Higgins has joined the Travois team! He’s project assistant for Travois Design & Construction Services and will be helping clients with work-in-place reports, capital needs assessments, master plans, feasibility studies and other duties. He has a bachelor’s degree in urban planning and design from the University of Missouri-Kansas City. And in yet another role, he’s married to Taylor Higgins, project manager, making them one of four husband-wife teams here at Travois. (Can you name the other three?) Read below for more about Zach, in his own words.
- How do your past experiences help you in your current position?
My carpentry background helps me to be familiar with the construction process, as well as working with contractors and laborers. My planning experience at Southtown Council helps me to keep many different tasks organized. My planning experience for both the city of Independence and at the Mid-America Regional Council will be critical in helping clients with master planning.
- What is your biggest success up until now?
My biggest success has been graduating from college. It took a long time and a lot of hard work and dedication, but with perseverance and support, I was able to complete my degree.
- Where have you traveled in Indian Country?
On our honeymoon, Taylor and I spent a few days at Lake Quinault Lodge. The lodge is within the Olympic National Park and was adjacent to the Quinault Indian Nation. The entire area was amazing. Particularly in a place like that, I truly felt a connection with nature as the streams, trees and other vegetation seemed to swallow me whole.
- What is your favorite memory from when you were a kid?
Disney World. It’s a magical place.
- What teams do you root for?
I am a St. Louis Blues fan but also root for the Royals, Cardinals, Chiefs, and Rams.
- Many Travois staff members are animal lovers. Do you have a pet?
I have a wonderful puppy named Berlin who has been a Travois team member since 2014. I also have an ornery kitten named Cobalt who would much rather stay home and sleep than come to work.
- What do you like about Kansas City? What do you dislike?
I like the “feel” of Kansas City. It has an almost small-town feel while still being a fairly large city and metropolitan area. I wish people were more open to progressive change.
- What is your least favorite chore?
- If you could witness any event, past, present or future, what would it be?
Either the birth of the universe or when humans finally overtake their alien overlords.
- What talent do you wish you had?
I wish I could play the violin.
- What is your favorite book of all time?
I have too many. Something by Dan Brown. I could almost read one of his novels in a single sitting.
- Do you have a hidden talent? What is it?
I have been told that my ability to recall movies and spoken word is above average.
- What did you want to be as a kid?
I decided that I was going to be an architect when I was middle school. I was only off by a little.